Amir Husain(@amirhusain_tx) is a serial entrepreneur, inventor, and author based in Austin, Texas. He was a finalist for the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year 2018 Award, has been named Austin’s Top Technology Entrepreneur of the Year, and received the Austin Under 40 Technology and Science Award. Husain is the founder and CEO of SparkCognition, an award-winning artificial intelligence company.
Since its founding in April 2013, SparkCognition has received widespread recognition, including the 2017 CNBC Disruptor 50, being named the fastest-growing company in Central Texas by Austin Business Journal in 2017, and ranking on the CB Insights AI 100 list in both 2017 and 2018.
Husain is a prolific inventor with 27 U.S. patents awarded and over 40 pending applications. His work has been featured in outlets such as Foreign Policy, Fox Business News, and Proceedings from the U.S. Naval Institute. His book “The Sentient Machine: The Coming Age of Artificial Intelligence” was published in 2017.
Husain served as a founding member of the Board of Advisors for IBM Watson and serves on the Board of Advisors for The University of Texas at Austin Department of Computer Science. He is also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Center for a New American Security Task Force on Artificial Intelligence and National Security.
“Software is eating the world, and A.I. is eating software”
In our wide-ranging conversation, we cover many things, including:
- The nature of intelligence
- Why we need to start having mature discussions around artificial intelligence to avoid disaster
- How Amir and AI researchers think about consciousness and ethics
- What people are not talking about when it comes to AI
- Why Amir is optimistic about the future
- The reason technological progress is inevitable
- How humanity may (or may not) interact and co-exist with AI
- The reason we must try to embed human values into AI/robotics
- How the shift from public to private space companies is transforming industry
- The other political and economic systems which autonomy may necessitate
- How AI and big data have the tendency to accelerate inequality
- Why the term artificial intelligence doesn’t really mean anything
- Which industries will most benefit from AI
Make a Tax-Deductible Donation to Support FringeFM